Why a blog? I have several friends with really good blogs...good writing, funny stories, cute kid pics and a great way to sort of stay in touch if you can't see each other every day. For those that know me I am-
1) Not a phone person- I really do hate talking on the phone
2) Not really a Facebook person- it's...too...well...Facebooky, but popular enough that I just made up an adjective to describe it. It always really scares me when someone that was really mean to me tries to 'friend' me now...why didn't you try that 25 years ago???!?!? I am a skeptic for sure.
3) Not really home enough to stay on track with anything even though I try- (see #2...just because I have not responded to what you have 'written on my wall' does not mean I am mad at you...)
So just briefly- married to Del 7 years ago-(well almost 7) - we have 5 kids between the 2 of us- 4 girls and 1 lone boy who will either be a great husband or a priest. Today they are 19,18,16,15 and 14- I really always did want 5 kids- you could say this was the 'easy' way to do it, as far as the whole birth process goes, but I obviously wouldn't recommend it. They have really all done amazingly well- I have read many books about the horrors of trying to blend families and comparatively, our journey has been quite boring although I am sure Del would disagree with me.
We are entering a new phase of this journey - next Thursday Meg(18) will be moving into the dorms to start her first year of college. Jamie(19) is already back at school in Wisconsin starting her 2nd year of college. It's strange to think of all the adjustments we will make- the remaining kids are re-arranging rooms, 2 less to cook for, 2 less showers-no matter how you look at it it's still 2 less and it's hard not to feel the 'loss'. It's been so fun to watch these kids grow and listen to them talk about their dreams...maybe it's easier for me since I am a bit more removed as the step-mom- (I actually prefer 'para-mother')- to be able to sit back and enjoy this part of their lives and not feel as 'old' as Del says it makes him feel- it's too bad that there has to be such a conflict- parents feel like this is the end of something while for the child, it's just the beginning. We will just have to pray and turn our worry over.
We are lucky and here are 5 of the biggest reasons why-

No comments:
Post a Comment