Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day of (High) School

The first day of school has always been tough for me- another year gone by...they just keep going faster.  This year is by far the toughest.  Our two oldest- in college for cryin' out loud- the other 3- all in high school.  They didn't appreciate me asking- 'do you have everything you need?'- well of course they do, they are omniscient teenagers... and anyway, if they didn't have something, it would probably be someone else's fault...'what are you going to wear tomorrow?' to which Brendan just stared at me and said, 'why, what are you going to wear tomorrow?' hmmm.....I guess it's time for me to grasp that the new shoes, pencils, the smell of a new eraser- (these were all highlights for moi) are not so novel anymore-we have moved on to the days of who likes who, football, soccer, 'she said that you said and I did not say that'.  I miss the days when they were thrilled with a new pencil box and crucial decsions included what lunch box went best with which backpack...
So to my highschoolers- 'In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on' - I love you all more than coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment