Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Lame Blogger


I know, I know...I am lame at blogging-

There is a laundry list of excuses- I think I am just now coming out of hibernation after the terrible winter we had..really are still having. Maybe it's because I turned 40 since the last blog entry and it just seems  like I should be more tired and look older....honestly, I used to think that I would need a wheelchair at 40, so I am pleasantly surprised that I still feel like a have a few good years left in me.


It could be the supreme effort it takes to parent teenagers..think of it as extreme parenting...sort of like toddlers for those of you with younger kids. There are similar issues- instead of potty training, we battle for control of curfews and the incessant need to have some sort of social activity at all times; we have to share a car instead of toys; and instead of teaching them to talk nicely to others, a lot of the time is spent insisting they speak nicely to me. (and yes, I do get to be the judge of 'nicely'- I have earned it)


But I know in my heart, this too will pass. It's easy to get distracted by the daily, oftentimes contrived drama that comes along with having a house-full of teens. I have great kids, don't get me wrong. They are awesome- but...they are still human. They are moody, inconsiderate and at times, just plain rude. While I know this is a normal part of this stage of life, it's obviously not my favorite part.... but I try to remember back when I was that age. I was busy just goofing off, doing pretty much what I wanted. I was never a kid that thought my parent's were idiots or anything, but I certainly thought I was smarter than them- nothing about their intellect led me there- it was just my own perception that I was pretty dang exceptional. I remember also having just a general lack of regard for anything or anyone around me...it really was all about me.

Remembering that helps me on some of the tougher days. My kids are really not out to get me, they are just really not ever thinking about anyone but themselves. Does this mean I back off and be happy when people make comments like- 'they are good kids...no drugs, jail, pregnancy...' - no way. I will always be in their ear and pushing them to have better awareness of their behavior and when it's unacceptable. I will always encourage them to think of others first. I know they want to have sense of what is their own- their room, their stuff, etc.- does that mean that they continue to get 'their stuff' for nothing? No again- I will be here to remind them the ability to buy an energy drink and a clearance item at Aeropostale does not mean they can magically support themselves- it's still my house, parents are paying the bills and still providing the 'stuff'. Will I let them wear me down with the constant debate of every request made of them?...ahhh, not I - this is where I a excel- (my mom might say it's a carry-over from my own teen years) I can debate you back all day and all night. Not only that, I have the power to end the conversation with a simple 'one more word and I'll...' or some similar threat- that is one part I kind of enjoy.


I have this quote written down and I read it daily-
"Adolescence" is when teens are trying to make "sense" of being an "adult."
When I read this, I know it will be ok- I am still trying to make sense of being an adult myself....I have just accepted that it may never happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment